Above: Entry sign to the Avalon Area of Patapsco Valley State Park. According to an information plaque in this area of the park, "The Civilian Conservation Corps transformed Patapsco Valley State Forest Reserve's informal recreation ground into the extensive Patapsco Valley State Park, which is our legacy today. Stone picnic shelters, roads, and trails are visible reminders of the work done by the young men of the CCC." Photo taken 2012.
Above: The CCC built this small stone pavilion at Patapsco Valley State Park. Photo taken 2012.
Above: This larger pavilion at Patapsco Valley State Park--"Shelter 66"--was also built by the CCC. Photo taken 2012.
Above: Inside Shelter 66. The building techniques used by the CCC is always interesting to see. Photo taken in 2012.
Above: An information plaque at New Germany State Park states: "The Recreation Hall was the center of social life in the (CCC) barracks. There were tables for pool and other games. There was a place to write home and to read. There was a canteen to purchase personal items and snacks. A stage at one end of the hall was often the site of plays and music programs. Church services were held there on Sundays. Although the CCC Company at New Germany was disbanded in 1938, the 'Rec Hall' continues to be used today for numerous community and park events." Photo taken 2012.
Above: According to the Maryland Department of Natural resources, CCC-built cabins at New Germany are still in use today (see here). Photo taken in 2012.
Above: According to a nearby information plaque, New Germany Lake was considered too dangerous to swim in before the arrival of the CCC. However, "In the early 1930s, President Roosevelt's Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) drained Swauger's Dam, cleared out the many logs that were on the bottom and built a new earthen breast works for the dam. Improvements also included a spillway. Fishing then became a prime use of the lake, which was plentifully stocked. Swimming was also possible now that the lake was refilled." Photo taken 2012.
Above: Many of the pavilions at New Germany State Park were built by the CCC. Photo taken in 2012.
Above: According to the Maryland Department of Natural Resources (DNR), this fire lookout tower was constructed by the CCC in 1934, by the Doncaster CCC Camp (see photos below). It is now used for communication purposes, holding antennas for the state police and the DNR (see here for more information). Photo taken 2012.
Above: Entry sign at Doncaster Demonstration Forest. There doesn't appear to be a lot of easily-accessible information about what the CCC did here (in comparison to information available for other sites), but there is a 1938 photo in the book "Maryland's Forests and Parks" by Robert F. Bailey showing three African American CCC workers cutting down a pine tree in the forest. Also, this African American CCC camp is given credit for building the fire tower in Welcome, Maryland, not far from Doncaster (see photo above). Photo taken 2012.
Above: The CCC did not create Smokey the Bear or put up this sign at Doncaster. Still, this shirt-free bear, with the shovel and the rolled up pant legs, seems to have been inspired by the CCC. And, interestingly, Smokey was "born" shortly after the CCC dissolved. Furthermore, remember that preventing fires and firefighting was a major role of the CCC. Photo taken 2012.