WPA Today   

New Deal Standing 2



The Washington Monument at Washington Monument State Park, Washington County.
 

New Deal Standing 2
(See Photos Below!)

*******************************************************

Photo credits: Unless otherwise noted, all photos were taken by Brent McKee.  Click here for more information on photo credits, permission to use, and exhibit descriptions
.


 You can scroll through all the pictures below, or jump to the picture you want to see:

(For photos 1-15, see
New Deal Standing 1)

16.
GREENBELT COMMUNITY LAKE, Prince George's County
17. PORT DEPOSIT SCHOOL, Cecil County
18. SNOW HILL FIREHOUSE, Worcester County
19. WILLIAMSPORT MEMORIAL LIBRARY, Washington County
20. CCC CABIN, Herrington Manor State Park, Garrett County
21. PANGBORN PARK LAKE, Hagerstown, Washington County
22. CHESTERTOWN FIREHOUSE, Kent County
23. HAGERSTOWN CITY HALL, Washington County
24. MEMORIAL BUILDING, Philos & St. Peter's Cemeteries, Westernport, Allegany County
25. PARK HEADQUARTERS, Swallow Falls State Park, Garrett County
26. RETAINING WALL, Frostburg, Allegany County
27. BLACKSMITH'S SHOP, Catoctin Mountain Park, Frederick County
28. PRINCESS ANNE HIGH SCHOOL, Somerset County
29. WASHINGTON MONUMENT, Washington Monument State Park, Washington County
30. WILLIAMSPORT TOWN HALL, Washington County


 16. GREENBELT COMMUNITY LAKE, Prince George's County

Above: The Greenbelt community lake, Prince George's County, built by WPA labor during the creation of Greenbelt in the 1930s.  Photo taken in 2011.  (Source of information: Greenbelt: History of a New Town, 1937-1987, editor Mary Lou Williamson)

back to top menu


 17. PORT DEPOSIT SCHOOL, Cecil County

Above: A former African American school, in Port Deposit (Cecil County), built with WPA labor 1936-37.  Photo taken in 2011.  (Source of information: The WPA photograph collection of the University of Maryland College Park Archives)

back to top menu

   
 18. SNOW HILL FIREHOUSE, Worcester County

Above: This building was constructed with WPA labor, circa 1935-1936.  It used to serve as the Snow Hill Fire Department (Worcester County), but is now utilized by the police department.  Photo taken in 2011.  (Source of information: The WPA photograph collection of the University of Maryland College Park Archives)

back to top menu


 19. WILLIAMSPORT MEMORIAL LIBRARY, Washington County

Above: This library in Williamsport (Washington County) was WPA project #535, 1936-37.  The library is a memorial to school children who died in a bus/train collision in 1935.  Photo taken in 2011.  (Source of information: (1) The WPA photograph collection of the University of Maryland College Park Archives, and (2) the Williamsport Memorial Library)

back to top menu


 20. CCC CABIN, Herrington Manor State Park, Garrett County

Above: This is a CCC-built cabin in Herrington Manor State Park (Garrett County).  The CCC was heavily involved in the development of the park, including the construction of the lake.  Photo taken in 2011.  (Source of information: Maryland Department of Natural Resources)

back to top menu


 21. PANGBORN PARK LAKE, Hagerstown, Washington County

Above: The WPA built this artificial lake at Pangborn Park (Washington County), circa 1935.  Photo taken in 2011.  (Source of information: The WPA photograph collection of the University of Maryland College Park Archives)

back to top menu
 
 22. CHESTERTOWN FIREHOUSE, Kent County

Above: Currently the town hall of Chestertown (Kent County), this building used to be the home of the Chestertown Fire Department.  It was built with WPA labor in 1938.  Photo taken in 2011.  (Source of information: The WPA photograph collection of the University of Maryland College Park Archives)

back to top menu

 
 23. HAGERSTOWN CITY HALL, Washington County

Above: According to a Maryland Historical Trust report "The Hagerstown City Hall is a Renaissance Revival style brick structure which was erected in 1939-1940 under the auspices of the federal government as a Public Works Administration project."  Photo taken in 2011.

back to top menu


 24. MEMORIAL BUILDING, Philos & St. Peter's Cemeteries, Westernport, Allegany County

Above: A memorial building built by the WPA in 1938, at the Philos and St. Peter's cemeteries in Westernport (Allegany County).  The information plaque on the building reads, in part: ""IN MEMORIAM, LEST WE FORGET, This building is dedicated in remembrance of all those who took part in all wars to preserve the freedom and liberty for our country who now sleep in peace in Philos and St. Peter's Cemeteries."  Photo taken in 2011.  (Source of information: (1) The WPA photograph collection of the University of Maryland College Park archives, and (2) the plaque on the building)

back to top menu


 25. PARK HEADQUARTERS, Swallow Falls State Park, Garrett County

Above: The park office at Swallow Falls State Park was built by the CCC.  Photo taken in 2011.  (Source of information: Maryland Department of Natural Resources)

back to top menu

 
 26. RETAINING WALL, Frostburg, Allegany County

Above:  A retaining wall in Frostburg, built by the WPA in 1938.  Photo taken in 2011.  (Source of information: The WPA photograph collection of the University of Maryland College Park Archives)

back to top menu


 27. BLACKSMITH'S SHOP, Catoctin Mountain Park, Frederick County

Above: The WPA built this blacksmith building at Catoctin Mountain Park (Frederick County) in the 1930s, and then used it to help develop the park.  Photo taken in 2011.  (Information source: National Park Service)

back to top menu

 
 28. PRINCESS ANNE HIGH SCHOOL, Somerset County

Above: This building was created with WPA labor in 1938, in Princess Anne (Somerset County).  It used to be the Princess Anne High School, but now serves as a county office building.  Photo taken in 2011.  (Source of information: (1) The WPA photograph collection of the University of Maryland College Park Archives, and (2) the Somerset County Library at Princess Anne)

back to top menu

 
 29. WASHINGTON MONUMENT, Washington Monument State Park, Washington County

Above: This is the first monument to George Washington, built by the townspeople of Boonsboro (Washington County) in 1827.  A century after it was built, it had fallen into serious disrepair.  The CCC rebuilt the monument, circa 1935.  Today, it stands strong.  Photo taken in 2011.  (Source of information: Maryland Department of Natural Resources)

back to top menu

 
 30. WILLIAMSPORT TOWN HALL, Washington County

Above: The Williamsport Town Hall (Washington County) was built with WPA labor in 1939.  This is one of the most impressive WPA-built structures in Maryland.  Photo taken in 2011.  (Source of information: Cornerstone at the front of the building)

back to top menu


Go to New Deal Standing 3
Website Builder