WPA Today   

New Deal Standing 4



Winters Quarters Log Cabin in Pocomoke City, built by the WPA in 1940.

New Deal Standing 4
(See Photos Below!)

*******************************************************

Photo credits: Unless otherwise noted, all photos were taken by Brent McKee.  Click here for more information on photo credits, permission to use, and exhibit descriptions
.


 You can scroll through all the photos below, or jump to the one you want to see:

(For photos 1-15 see
New Deal Standing 1, for photos 16-30 see New Deal Standing 2, and for photos 31-45 see New Deal Standing 3)

46.
WINTER QUARTERS LOG CABIN, Pocomoke City, Worcester County
47. CABIN, Chambers Park, Federalsburg, Caroline County
48. POST OFFICE MURAL, Salisbury, Wicomico County
49. CABIN 16, Camp Misty Mount, Catoctin Mountain Park, Frederick County
50. NELSON LAB, Patuxent Research Refuge, Prince George's County
51. FORT FREDERICK, Fort Frederick State Park, Washington County
52. LITTLE ORLEANS BRIDGE, Little Orleans, Allegany County
53. PAVILION, Glen Woods, Towson State University, Baltimore County
54. WALL, Antietam National Cemetery, Washington County
55. LAKE ASHBURTON PUMPING STATION
, Baltimore City
56.
SCENIC OVERLOOK, Gambrill State Park, Frederick County
57.
CAMP DAVID, Catoctin Mountain Park, Frederick County
58.
HERRINGTON MANOR LAKE, Herrington Manor State Park, Garrett County
59.
ROSTRUM, Baltimore National Cemetery, Baltimore City & County
60. RESTROOM
, Swallow Falls State Park, Garrett County  


 46. WINTER QUARTERS LOG CABIN, Pocomoke City, Worcester County

Above: This fairly large cabin at Winter Quarters Golf Course in Pocomoke City was built by the WPA in 1940.  It was Maryland WPA project #3676.  Photo taken in 2011.  (Source of information: WPA photograph collection at the University of Maryland College Park archives)

back to top menu


 47. CABIN, Chambers Park, Federalsburg, Caroline County

Above: This cabin is very unusual, in that it was built by the National Youth Administration (NYA).  The NYA was in existence from 1935 to 1943.  At the time this cabin was built--1936--the NYA was a sub-component of the WPA.  The NYA focused on younger adults who were attending school or college, but who still needed work.  In more recent history, some repair work has been performed on this cabin.  For example, the original brick chimney has been replaced with the stone chimney you see here.  Photo taken in 2011.  (Source of information: Maryland Historical Trust)   

back to top menu


 48. POST OFFICE MURAL, Salisbury, Wicomico County


Above: The origins of murals painted during the New Deal era can sometimes be difficult to determine.  They were usually (if not always) financed with the help of federal funds; but whether those funds came from the PWA, WPA, the U.S. Treasury, or some other program is not always clear.  The above mural is one of several in the Salisbury Post Office.  According to a Maryland Historical Trust Report: "In 1934-35 the interior of the post office was enriched with painted murals financed by the Works Progress Administration."  But the WPA was not in existence until 1935.  Information plaques inside the post office report that these murals were created by artist Jacob Getlar Smith (1898-1958) in 1939 and state: "Under the Works Progress Administration, (Smith) was commissioned to paint murals for the U.S. Post Office in Nyack New York, in addition to these in Salisbury."  According to the New Deal Art Registry, this mural was commissioned by the U.S. Treasury, not the WPA.  Photo taken in 2011.  (Image used for educational, non-commercial, and non-profit making purposes.  Copyright, United States Postal Service.  All rights reserved.)    

back to top menu


 49. CABIN 16, Camp Misty Mount, Catoctin Mountain Park, Frederick County

Above: The WPA built Cabin 16, at Camp Misty Mount, in the 1930s.  Photo courtesy of the National Park Service.  (Source of information: National Park Service)

back to top menu


 50. NELSON LAB, Patuxent Research Refuge, Prince George's County

Above: Nelson Lab at Patuxent Research Refuge was built with WPA labor, circa 1938.  Photo taken in 2011.  (Source of information: "Early History of Patuxent Wildlife Research Center," by Dr. Leland B. Morley, 1948)

back to top menu


 51. FORT FREDERICK, Fort Frederick State Park, Washington County

Above: The CCC reconstructed the walls of Fort Frederick at Fort Frederick State Park.  The Fort is now a National Historic Landmark.  Photo taken in 2011.  (Source of information: Maryland Department of Natural Resources)

back to top menu


 52. LITTLE ORLEANS BRIDGE, Little Orleans, Allegany County

Above: This bridge in Little Orleans was Maryland WPA project #3446, and was built in 1938-39.  Photo taken in 2011.  (Source of information: WPA photograph collection at the University of Maryland College Park archives)

back to top menu


 53. PAVILION, Glen Woods, Towson State University, Baltimore County

Above: This structure, along with many other stone structures in Glen Woods, was built by the WPA in 1936.  Photo taken in 2011.  (Source of information: (1) WPA photograph collection at the University of Maryland College Park archives, and (2) an information placard in Glen Woods)

back to top menu


 54. WALL, Antietam National Cemetery, Washington County

Above: According to a Maryland Historical Trust report, the wall around Antietam National Cemetery was "repaired and repointed by the WPA in 1939."  Photo taken in 2011. 

back to top menu


 55. LAKE ASHBURTON PUMPING STATION, Baltimore City

Above: This Lake Ashburton pumping station was built with the assistance of funds from the Public Works Administration.  The stonework gives the building something of a WPA look, but I don't know if the WPA played a role in its construction.  Photo taken 2012.  (Source of information: (1) "Majority of Items in Second Public Works Plan Completed," Baltimore Sun, Sept. 11, 1938, p. 21, and (2) email correspondence with Baltimore City public works employees/officials)  

back to top menu


 56. SCENIC OVERLOOK, Gambrill State Park, Frederick County

Above: This scenic overlook at Gambrill State Park was built by the CCC in the 1930s.  Photo taken 2011.  (Source of information: Maryland Department of Natural Resources)

back to top menu


 57. CAMP DAVID, Catoctin Mountain Park, Frederick County

Above: Both the WPA and the CCC played significant roles in the construction and development of the Camp David presidential retreat.  Photo taken sometime between 1969 and 1974.  The photo is in the public domain, provided courtesy of the National Archives and Wikipedia.  (Source of information: National Park Service)

back to top menu


 58. HERRINGTON MANOR LAKE, Herrington Manor State Park, Garrett County

Above: The CCC created Herrington Manor Lake by damming Herrington Creek (the dam the CCC built is in the picture above, to the right).  A sign at the park states: "The Herrington Manor Dam was built by the Civilian Conservation Corps between 1934 and 1942.  Two hundred young men between the ages of 18 to 25 worked for $30 a month--and were very glad to have the work.  Families were limited to one person per family working for the CCC.  During this period the CCC's also constructed the lake Concession Building, ten of the rental cabins at Herrington Manor, and the pavilions at Herrington Manor and Swallow Falls State Parks.  In addition, they planted trees to help reforest the area."  Photo taken 2011.  (Source of information: Maryland Department of Natural Resources)  

back to top menu


 59. ROSTRUM, Baltimore National Cemetery, Baltimore City & County

Above: The WPA built this rostrum-retaining wall at Baltimore National Cemetery.  Photo taken 2011.  (Source of information: Email correspondence with the National Cemetery Administration)

back to top menu


 60. RESTROOM, Swallow Falls State Park, Garrett County

Above: This restroom facility at Swallow Falls State Park (now closed to the public) was built by the CCC.  Note the park headquarters building behind and to the right--that building was also built by the CCC.  Photo taken 2011.  (Source of information: Maryland Department of Natural Resources)

back to top menu


Go to New Deal Standing 5
Website Builder