African American School in Port Deposit, Cecil County
(See Photos Below!)
WPA Project #583, 1936-1937
Port Deposit is an interesting town that sits alongside the Susquehanna River, not far from the Conowingo Dam. There is an abundance of stonework in the town, and the former African American school shown below is no exception. This was one of 19 new schools that the WPA built in Maryland (they repaired or improved 389 other schools). The building is now called "Freeman Hall."
Photo credits: Unless otherwise noted, all black and white
photos were taken by the WPA, are in the public domain, and provided
courtesy of the University of Maryland College Park Archives. All color
photos--unless otherwise noted--were taken by Brent McKee. Click here for more information on photo credits, permission to use, and exhibit descriptions.
Above: The description card for this photo reads, "Excavating for basement and drilling artesian well for new school." (Photo taken October 5, 1936)
Above: The description card for this photo reads, "Building basement masonry walls. Susquehanna River in background." (Photo taken December 29, 1936)
Above: The description card for this photo reads, "View of abandoned quarry near new school site from which a major portion of the stone for the new school is being obtained." (Photo taken January 5, 1937)
Above: Continued construction of the Port Deposit School. (Photo taken January 25, 1937)
Above: Progress continues on the Port Deposit School in the Spring of 1937. (Photo taken March 29, 1937)
Above: A view of the Port Deposit School as it nears completion in 1937.
Above: The finished school, 1937.
Above: The description card for this photo reads, "View of double classroom, folding doors at the left." (Photo taken October 26, 1937)
Above: The Port Deposit school as it appears today. The building seems to be in fairly good shape, but it has suffered from some degree of neglect and vandalism. Fortunately, a restoration project has been started, and on December 14, 2011 it was reported that a new roof was about to be put on the building ("Contractor for Freeman Hall repairs has historical connection to site"). (Photo taken on December 3, 2011)
Above: Another view of the school. (Photo taken on December 3, 2011)